Hi, guys! It's been a few weeks, and even longer since I posted a "massive list of goals" update, so... here ya go.
Things I Have Done
1. Attended Writers with Drinks, which had readings by Sarah Kuhn (I must buy her book, One Con Glory), Malinda Lo, Rachel Kramer Bussel, Glen David Gold (whose memoirs are hilarious), and Amber Benson, all of whom were fantastic in varying ways. It was hosted by the wonderful Charlie Jane Anders (aka charliegrrrl), and her introductions, which are really long elaborate and fantastical stories, are definitely one of the highlights of going to the event.
2. Attended S.G. Browne's signing and reading for his new book, Lucky Bastard, at the Booksmith. It was quite fun, and the book looks to be as funny as his other two books.
3. Also attended the Thursday night open mic at The Usuals, which both my friend Lorenz and I read at (and it went quite well, though I have a tendency to speak too close to the mic). It's a new venue, built in the back of a clothing store, but it's a great space, and I look forward to reading there again soon. I also encourage other poets or songsters to attend and participate.
4. I completed the first draft of the short story intended for an anthology, but blew the anthology deadline. So, it's a halfway success, because at least I have a story that can be edited and submitted elsewhere.
5. I sent out two poetry/flash submissions, and received one rejection and one acceptance. The rejection was a rather positive one, and encouraged me to submit again, which I shall.
I also received an email from a publication, saying that they wanted to include a poem they published in an upcoming anthology they are producing. An acceptance without a submission is so amazingly awesomesauce :D.
6. I completed 30 new poems (well, 32, if you count the two I didn't post) in 30 days for the Nation Poetry Month Challenge. Seven of those poems were completed in an hour just before bedtime on April 30th, so there is a varying degree of quality throughout the lot. If you're interested, you can check out the poems here on my tumblr.
Things I Need to Do
1. COMPLETE MY TAXES (it's ridiculous that I haven't, cause they're so easy)
2. Write the flash fiction story that's bouncing in my head.
3. Focus on edits, including rewrites for White Noise and other stories in the draft queue.
4. Submit at least one story mentioned above.
5. Submit one poetry set, ideally the 15-25 poems for a chapbook market.
6. EXCERCISE: yoga, running, hiking, whatever. Just something. My body needs it.
*It occurs to me that my definition of long needs reevaluation, as it's only been a week or two, but it seems like forever.
[Cross-posted to my webpage.]
Andrea Blythe's blog about writing, reading, and everything else
- Being an update sort of listy thing after a long* reprieve